BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Building the Bridge - Love is a Verb

I learned, as a writer, that verbs reign supreme. Master your verbs and you produce quality writing. Stories ignite when verbs are utilized to full potential. Therefore, I pay attention to verbs.

One day for my quiet time with the Lord, I read the first Psalm. Verse two stood out: But they delight in the law of the Lord, meditating on it day and night. The they are those with the joys from verse one. So it’s saying, oh the joy of those who delight in the law of the Lord. Out of my newly formed habit, I noticed the verb in this verse is delight. So it’s saying, if I want to be the one with the joys, I should delight in the law of the Lord. Seems simple enough.

But…

Do I do it?

That got me thinking… what other verbs in Psalms do I do or not do?

So, being the systematic person I am, each day now I read a Psalm and write in my journal all of the verbs. Here’s an example of an entry:

8-13-09 Ps.2:10-12 act wisely, serve, rejoice, take refuge in Him.

It’s quite revealing. These are actions I should apply in life to experience joy.

What’s cool, though, the verbs I’m finding also highlight the actions God takes to demonstrate His love for me. (See Ps. 18 & 19, for examples)

Saying we love God is nice, but… why should we expect that to be enough to define our relationship with Him? Especially when God’s love for us is backed by the ultimate action, giving His life? What if God just said stuff, but didn’t back it up by action?

These actions, God’s toward me and mine toward Him, form a love relationship.

The same concept proves true in relationships between us humans.

DC Talk said it best…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD0EIfRTVXo

Hearing “I love you” is nice. Experiencing “I love you” is even better.

Saying “I love you” is easy. Showing “I love you”… ha, well, that takes (gasp) effort.

We’re such apathetic, lazy, selfish creatures, aren’t we? When was the last time we opened our eyes to the hurting people in our world? Okay, the world is a little overwhelming. How about… our neighborhoods? Co-workers? Best friend? Anyone other than ourselves? Anyone? Bueller?

During my time in the wilderness, even on the banks of the raging flood, I struggled to hope. I felt alone, depressed, dysfunctional, desperate, hopeless. I certainly didn’t have the energy to care about anyone else’s pain. Despite my total self-absorption, God provided people willing to look outside themselves to lend me a helping hand. These bridge-builders actively showed God’s love, making not just a significant difference, but the difference in my life. They didn’t just say stuff. Their actions facilitated my survival.

We all have the tools to help build a bridge for someone else. I’ve been to the low place where I didn’t think I could help a dog take a walk let alone someone with real sorrows. But if I’d been paying more attention to my verbs, I would have realized I always have something to give.

It could be as easy as a smile, or as great a sacrifice as time or money.

Thank God for the bridge builders in my life.

Love your neighbor like you want to be loved.

Become an engineer. Build a bridge.

P.S. I just got to the 23rd Psalm with the verb thing and oh, my, what a great new way to see it. Try it and let me know what YOU find! Thanks for all who visit Dry Ground!

4 comments:

M said...

Lori,

This is exceptional!!

I am impressed and inspired!

I look forward to each of your postings.

Melinda Bowlin said...

What a challenge to us all! Thanks Lori!

Billy Coffey said...

This is just SO good, Lori. You're right - verbs reign supreme. Both in writing and in life.

LynnRush said...

Right on, Lori. Nicely written.