BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, April 4, 2011

Movies You Might Have Missed Monday

Greetings, Dry Ground friends! I missed you! Though, I must say, I had a great time on vacation, resting and refueling.

I’m up and at ‘em, though, this Monday morning with another favorite film pick that you might not have taken the time to see yet – Cat on a Hot Tin Roof from 1958.

As you know, film icon Elizabeth Taylor passed away recently, leaving the world minus one more classic Hollywood actor. I must admit, I have seen very few of her films, although I can’t explain why. I don’t have anything against her, of course, I just haven’t gotten around to seeing too many of them. The ones I have seen, though, are evidence enough to understand why she was considered so great in her industry.

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof was my favorite, but not only because of Elizabeth. The whole cast makes this worth watching. It’s set in New Orleans, and the whole family is gathering for Big Daddy’s birthday. Played by Burl Ives, Big Daddy is the gruff patriarch of the prestigious Pollitt family. Elizabeth plays his daughter-in-law, Maggie, who is married to treasured but troubled son, Brick, played by Paul Newman. An alcoholic, he laments the glory days of high school football, despises his father’s unrealized expectations for him, and suspects his wife of infidelity because of an incident years beforehand involving his now dead best friend. To say he’s not the life of the party is an understatement, but he threatens to be the death of it as he butts heads with his father.

Yes, there’s lots of drama in this story, but also a bit of comic relief as well as opportunity to think, ponder, and consider a different perspective especially when it comes to family relationships.

I like this movie for its performances, its colorful dialogue, and its gritty look at family dynamics.

Though Elizabeth was nominated for her role as Maggie in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, to really see what she could do as an actress, watching her Oscar winning performances is a must. Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf is a difficult movie to watch (IMO), but Taylor’s performance is truly amazing. I haven’t seen the other one, Butterfield 8, but on April 10th (this Sunday), TCM is paying tribute to Elizabeth Taylor, and all three of these movies are on tap if you want to check them out.

It’s good to be back. Hope you all are well. Be blessed today!

(photos by photobucket.com)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lori, So glad you had a restful vacation.
WELCOME BACK! I miss your posts when you are gone.
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf is the only one of these 3 movies I have seen. It was powerful. Maybe I can check out the other 2 this Sunday. Thanks for the heads up.

HaleyRains said...

So glad you are back from vacation. It was soooo boring at work without you guys. ;) --Haley